Thursday, May 28, 2009

Afternoon Snacks!



Good Tips

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:29 PM PDT

The blog Wholesale Matters (from the folks at the Buyer's Market of American Craft) often offers tips, or "Small Actions." The ones posted today are particularly good -- think I'll go update my blogroll now!

Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:21 PM PDT

The design on the cover of this book caught my eye. It's a new book called "Naive: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design." It think this modernism-folklore combo is very much in play these days in the way it connects to craft movements of the Great Depression era and the 1970s. I'll have to check it out and see if my theory sticks. Available soon from Rare Device.

A Berkshires Flea Market (photos)

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Pictures taken by my friend and culture blogger Hrag Vartanian. Flea markets are so interesting.

Handmade Typography on Hodge Podge Farm's Blog

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:02 PM PDT

I love this blog kept by artist and sewing maven Cal Patch. She just posted a picture of the new banner she has embroidered by hand for her internet presence. It's inspiring... Time for me to break out the paint samples!

George Willig's 1977 WTC Climb

Posted: 27 May 2009 11:51 AM PDT

I'm fascinated by people compelled to climb (or tight rope across) skyscrapers. I hadn't heard of George Willig before, but today Gothamist marks the anniversary of his 1977 scaling of the World Trade Center's south tower.

No comments: