Sunday, January 07, 2007

What's Goin' On in There?


Ok, so since 2007 began I haven't been terribly blog-happy. So what's going on, you may ask? Fair enough! Here's what the first week of the new year has been like at Greenjeans.

It started out on Wednesday when we were vandalized. Some kids who pass by every day decided to push open the door and pitch a half-full bottle of lemonade onto the front shelves. A new sculpture by Jane Kaufmann was broken and all the cards and tables and baby rattles wound up a sticky mess. Jae charged after them like an agitated bear. We called the cops who just smiled and deferred responsibility. Irate, we spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess. But we've decided to take it as a sign of good luck and work on our powers of forgiveness. And from 2:30-3:00 we'll be standing guard.

Thursday and Friday were less eventful. We basked in the relative slowness of the days, since we are hardly yet recovered from the demands of December. I don't even know what I did on those days. Obviously none of it involved blogging.

(Honestly, I think the extreme weather we've been having is messing with my head. It was 72 degrees out yesterday! I worry for Beatrice from Much Ado about Nothing. There's a scene where she's being characteristically witty and her uncle says fondly to her that she will never run mad. Beatrice replies, "No, not until a hot January." Egad...)

Saturday we were busy with visits and customers. And today we've been furiously preparing two very exciting new features: our website version 1.0 (it really IS coming!) AND something brand new: auctions!

That's right, auctions! Instead of running sales (an issue I've been grappling with for some time), we're going to hold auctions as a way to offer shoppers a chance at getting great prices on beautiful handmade work. A percentage of the sales will be donated to charity. We've set up our Ebay store and will be launching the first auction later this week.

Finally, I've also been drafting the first Greenjeans Newsletter, which will be going out on the 12th of every month. The first issue will go out to everyone I have an email address for, so if I don't have your email but you'd like to receive the newsletter, let me know (info@greenjeansbrooklyn.com).

I also have a great trove of photos that I shot at Jane Kaufmann's studio two weeks ago. I can hardly wait to share them with you.

So! There will be lots to blog about in the very near future. Stay tuned!

No comments: