Monday, January 12, 2009

"Handmade Quality" at Ikea More Hand Washing?

I was at Ikea in Brooklyn the other day and noticed these logos festooned throughout the glassware display advertising "Handmade Quality."

It looks like Ikea is getting into the handmade game now, and their display and glassware designs reminded me somewhat of Simon Pearce.

I didn't investigate too deeply to find out where this glassware is being handmade (or as the labels said, "mouth blown," a phrase that always makes me laugh because it begs the question "as opposed to what?")

So while I am tempted to label this another example of hand-washing, my inner jury is still out. Because maybe it's to do with a fair trade project or something.

I will try to find out more about this handmade line. Because the prices are insaaaanely low and some of the pieces weren't half bad...

Posted and image by Amy Shaw for Greenjeans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Greenjeans :

Appears as though one couple wasn't so happy with their 'mouth blown' (search for 'Shannon') here : http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/ikea.html

How does one actually get to the bottom of where a product is made if there isn't any qualifying label ?

-- Curious.