Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Gleanings for Greenjeans' 400th Blog Post


I just noticed that this is my 400th blog post!!

No trumpets or cake, just a few gleanings to share with you today...

DIG this lampshade that slowly knits itself when you turn it on (Nadine Sterk's Sleeping Beauty lamp on exhibition in The Netherlands, courtesy CraftZine, pictured here).

KUDOS to Brooklyn Flea organizers Eric and John for the fabulous spread in New York Magazine and the Daily News anticipating the market. (Come see us there starting April 6!)

GET INSPIRED by the new issue of American Craft Magazine. This month's theme: craft and the industrial complex. I am especially excited about the lead article, which you can read here. (And I'll be responding to it very soon...)

BUILD YOUR SUMMER READING LIST! After posting the other day about "The Craftsman," the new book by Richard Sennett, I cruised around Amazon a while and made a list of books, most of them fairly new, I want to check out. Thought I'd share it with you!

They all appeal to my persistent interest not only in craft, but also in material culture, labor, and studies of the everyday. (I'm a huge fan of de Certeau and Bachelard for any of you philosophy / critical theory people out there...)

Thinking Through Craft by Glenn Adamson

A Theory of Craft: Function and Aesthetic Expression by Howard Risatti

Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft by Laurie Britton-Newell

NeoCraft by Grace Cochrane

The Culture of Craft: Studies in Design and Material Culture by Peter Dormer

Evocative Objects: Things We Think With by Sherry Turkle

The Object of Labor: Art, Cloth, and Cultural Production by Joan Livingstone

What are YOU looking forward to reading?

Posted by Amy Shaw for Greenjeans.

No comments: