Thursday, May 14, 2009

Saturday SATURDAY Saturday: Table Fights!


Picked up a postcard in Williamsburg yesterday that reads in big letters: "I {heart} mean tables."

On the back it advertises Table Fights taking place this Saturday at Magnan Projects in Chelsea, during ICFF week.

"Table fights??!" Yes, "table fights." I'd never heard of it before, but I was intrigued.

Evidently, artisans around the world have been making these automated, remote-controlled tables, and they fight them. Like cock fighting, but... tables. There's video of this on their website, www.tablefights.com, but I refuse to watch it -- I want to see this for the first time in person.

The website describes "Two tables per match fight with in a 12' diameter ring with the grandeur of a prize fight and chaos of a cock fight. The event is complete with witty announcers, ring girls and boys, judges, and DJ. Gritty, absurd, and intentionally outrageous, Table Fights promises to infuse some wildness into New York Design Week."

It's so absurd sounding, but could very possibly be completely awesome. I'll let you know... and if you're hitting the ICFF on Saturday, maybe I'll see you there!

Table Fights
at Magnan Projects
317 Tenth Ave, NYC

Saturday May 16, 2009
6:00pm - 9:00pm
www.tablefights.com

Posted by Amy Shaw for Greenjeans.

No comments: