Sunday, April 06, 2008

Brooklyn Flea - brief report

The Brooklyn Flea went great today! Despite the chill, scads of people came out to see what this new outdoor market is all about. The energy was upbeat and friendly, and we were busy all day. From all accounts, the inaugural day of the Flea was a huge success!

Lumin helped me work the booth and we had lots of fun handing out postcards and introducing Greenjeans to hundreds of new people. Many friends stopped by, too. In fact, it seemed like half of Brooklyn, and a sizable chunk of Manhattan, came to the Flea today. I've heard it'll be covered in Thursday's NYTimes Style section...

I didn't get much time to look around, but I did take a quick turn around the schoolyard: The mix of 200 vendors at this market is really interesting and varied -- everything from screenprinted baby rompers to architectural antiques, with indie craft, photography, vintage clothes, and LPs in between. And lots of other great finds. It's part flea market, part craft fair, part bake sale, and it rocks!

Huge props to the extraordinarily capable team of Jonathan Butler and Eric Demby. With the help of their excellent, organized crew, things went beautifully today and I hope they are finally going to get a good night's sleep tonight after many months of enormous effort to organize this event!

I have more to report and a bunch of pictures, but I'm so exhausted I can't rally to post links or pictures right now, even though Kathy Malone just emailed me some great ones of hers. I will amend this post in the next couple days with pics and links for you...

In the morning it's off to NH to pick up some Shaker chairs. We're closed on Tuesday, but stay tuned for more Wednesday...

Thanks to everyone that came by today. More later!

Posted by Amy Shaw for Greenjeans.

No comments: